Fairy Doll Part Two: The Body
Welcome back to the second part of our fairy doll pattern series. If you didn’t start at the beginning be sure to pop back over to Part One now.
- Crochet hook – I used a size 3.25mm though if you don’t have this size you can use something a bit smaller or larger.
- Yarn – We have a local yarn outlet here that sells yarn straight from the factory, so though some is a brand name I couldn’t tell you what was what anymore. You can choose any colour really as this is going to be a fairy doll, however, I chose a light skin tone.
- Yarn Needle – These have a dull tip and a large eye so you can thread yarn through it. You’ll need this to sew the parts together in the end.
- Stuffing – If you’re trying to be frugal you can always use old pillow stuffing, this is a great way to recycle!
- Marker/Spare Yarn – If you’re like me you may want to use a marker to keep track of your counts. I just use a piece of different coloured yarn to use as a marker, I find this works best.
- Paper and Pencil – Again if you’re forgetful like me I find it is helpful to have a little notepad with me while I work. Especially when we get to the legs I like to use it for nothing more than to tick off rounds as I go!
Glossary of Terms
sl st = slip stitch
sc (uk dc) = single crochet (uk double crochet)
st = stitch
rd = round
sc (uk dc) 2tog = single crochet (uk double crochet) two stitches together
Patterns are in US, with the UK stitches in brackets.
Here is Canada we have a long weekend coming up! So, in celebration of what we commonly refer to as the May 2-4 weekend this step is relatively short. To ramp up the cuteness factor this little fairy has a round but short midsection. So let’s get to it!
Rd 1: 4 chain, sl st into first chain – sc (uk dc) 6 st into circle, do not join. Pull to tighten.
Rd 2: 2 sc (uk dc) in each st – repeat to end = 12 st
Rd 3: 1 sc (uk dc) in 1 st, 2 sc (uk dc) in 1 st – repeat to end = 18 st
Rd 4: 1 sc (uk dc) in 2 st, 2 sc (uk dc) in 1 st – repeat to end = 24 st
Rd 5 – Rd 9: 1 sc (uk dc) in each st – repeat to end = 24 st (5 Rounds)
Rd 10: 1 sc (uk dc) in 2 st, sc (uk dc)2tog in 1 st – repeat to end = 18 st
Rd 11: 1 sc (uk dc) in 1 st, sc (uk dc)2tog in 1 st – repeat to end = 12 st
At this time you will want to stuff your creation.
Rd 12: sc (uk dc)2tog – repeat to end = 6 st
Rd 13: sc (uk dc)2tog – repeat to end – 3 st & close
Leave a long tail for stitching together.
Put this little body with your head from last week and join me again next Friday when we will work on the legs!